Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Cutting mortise and tenon joints

recently the work on the doghouse slowed down a bit, since for the love of it I could not figure out how to create the roofing support.

Now after reading a couple of more books about this topic I came to the conclusion that I will need a couple of joints for this.

  • a couple mortise/tenon joint
  • a couple half lap joints
  • a bunch of birdmouth joints
So the first step is right now to create the mortises for our tenons and settled on using a drill press as the best possible method, with some help from my chisels to square them up.



after measuring the proportions we remove the waste

square it up with a chisel

fit it slightly loose to leave a bit of space for the glue later


Now I only have to make 15 more and than start working on the lap joints to make the corners fit.

No comments: