Sunday, August 10, 2008

lenses for portraits on DX framed cameras (1.5 crop factor)

well after taking a lot of pictures in the last two years and testing a lot of lenses and cameras I'm finally able to make a statement about what stuff to use what situation at a defined working distance.

Currently this is my standard approach

  • full body 35mm F/2
  • half body 50mm F/1.8
  • headshot 90mm F/2.8
This allows me to be 2 - 3 yards/meters away from the model and communicate in a normal way without screaming out of my lungs. It also permits my flash system to work without trouble. If I shoot available light or need to be able to switch focal distances quickly I moving over to the heavy and big 70-200mm F/2.8. It's very flexible but demands shutter speeds of 1/250s and some distance to the model, since it can be intimidating.

No comments: