Monday, May 01, 2006

It's summer again, that means time to bbq. The problem with bbq's is you need a grill. So I had a little gas chrill last year, but somebody decided to steal it... Anyway I saw saturday morning this awesome weather and decided time to get a grill. Now the big question gas/electric/charcoil what to buy.


Electric is no choice, to dry, not portabel. And we all no a gril has to be portable to get it to the beach. So charcoil has the best taste, but the disadvantage of exensive preheating and lots of ash. So I went with a gasgrill. Its fast, its clean and somewhat portable. Obviously gas grills are the most expensive grills out there. They start at 25$ for something what you cant call grill and go up to 5000$ what I would call insane.

So it should be:
- portable
- from a good brand for replacement parts and propan supply
- under 200$
- large enough for a couple of burgers and crabs

mean it's sounds like a weber Q series and the small ine is just to tiny and the big one ( preffered by me) way to expensive ( 360$ or so ). So I decided to go with the medium one ( Q200 ) which was still somewhat portable ( 18 kg ) and has enough space for all what you can think of. The price of 179$ is close enough to my limited and with some propan, tools, food... we hit 300$ in total for the weekend.

A first test:

- crab legs -> jummy
- jumbo prawns -> jummy
- shrimps -> chewy, go for prawns next time.
- steak -> tasty
- corn -> tasty
- spare ribs -> to fat, I stick with my oven ribs
- turkey burgers by my own recipy -> perfect
- trout -> perfect
- calamary steak -> i don't like calamari, awefull....

result: me laying lazy and round in the sun for the rest of the day.


Now the burger recipy for 4 Burgers:

- 30g butter choped in small pieces
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1/4 onion finley chopped
- 1 cup vermouth
- salt + fresh pepper
- 1 Pound ground turkey
- 1/2 wet bun, ripped in little pieces

mix the ingredients in a bow for a couple of minutes and make 4 pattys out of this. Put these on the grill for 5 minutes each side. Now grab some buns, cheese, onions, lettuce and build you burger.

No comments: